- DELETE UNWANTED LINES of test captions from beginning of file.
- ASSOCIATING MEDIA: If you have the media file, click Select Media, click Choose File on the left, select your media file.
– Click play on media file, pause when the first word is spoken.
– Copy the actual timecode below the media, keeping the format of hh:mm:ss:fff. (Example: 00:00:58:606.)
– Click the edit icon on the first caption.
– Bottom right of screen: Paste timecode into Start Time box, click Ripple. (This will change all the timecodes throughout the caption file.)
- SET LINE LENGTH and MINIMUM DURATION
– Line length is the maximum number of characters per line of captioning. Tutorial
– Display time is the number of seconds the caption will remain on screen. Tutorial
- CHECK SYNC throughout the file.
– Click on any timecode in the Start Time column to advance the media player to that timecode.
– Click play to check sync by watching the blue line advance as the media plays.
- EDIT CAPTION TEXT AS NEEDED
– Split/merge lines as needed
– Spot check media to correct transcription errors
– Check spots with long durations, parentheticals, music
- FIX SHORT LINES & FIX OVERLAPS (REQUIRED!)
- SAVE (wait to allow save to finish) & EXIT (Click to exit file.)
- DOWNLOAD CAPTION FILES
– If you have a CaptionTools account, download from the Dashboard. Tutorial
– If editing in StreamText, download from StreamText.